The construction of the Temple of Our Lady of Guadalupe, located across from the town square “Plaza de Armas” and the city hall, started in 1918. Its facade is made of brick and its central tower was built of four sections in the early 50’s and in 1965 was topped with a crown of concrete supported by eight angels of the same material, this tower has become the worldwide symbol that identifies the charm of Puerto Vallarta. Not far from the sea and at the foot of the mountain that shelters the bay, its poise stands out from the red roof tops, cobblestone streets and colorful patches of bougainvilleas, palm trees and golden bowls.
The original crown fell during the October 9, 1995 earthquake, so current is made of fiberglass and is said to be a replica of the crown used by the Empress Carlota wife of Emperor Maximilian of Hapsburg in 1860, who led the second and last monarchy in Mexico.
The interior keeps beautiful works of art made up of a marble altar with the image of the Virgin of Guadalupe, painted by artist Ignacio Ramirez, the Stations of the Cross, a communion rail, pulpit and confessionals carved wood. The paintings that decorate the dome of the temple were made by the artist Daniel Lechón.
The church held on October 12, 2011 its 90 years and since then and by tradition and devotion on December 12, attending the parish of Our Lady of Guadalupe thousands of pilgrims to celebrate the Virgin of Tepeyac (Virgin of Guadalupe), a festival attended by locals and visitors.
click thumbs to enlarge